The owners of the hotel, Osborn Securities Ltd are a specialist property investment company with interests in the commercial, retail and hospitality sectors. Inn-telligence were contacted to ‘parachute’ into the business on short notice with an initial brief to manage the Administration process and associated issues such as legal, statutory and employment concerns. This brief was quickly expanded to incorporate the re-establishment of the business in the marketplace and local community. In addition to taking over the day to day running of the hotel and changing the business model to operate as a stand-alone property, Inn-telligence also advised the owners on the viability of various operating models including franchising to a brand or establishing the hotel as an independent.
Inn-telligence managed the initial handling of staffing transfers according to TUPE regulations and as part of the ongoing management of the hotel are responsible for all HR and statutory issues relating to staffing. The hotel currently employs 43 full and part time staff.
A key part of the initial strategy once the decision had been made to discontinue the ‘Quality’ brand was to design and launch a new, fresh brand image for the property. Working with our creative agency and e-distribution specialists, Inn-telligence quickly established a comprehensive brief for the new brand designed to move the property away from the previous image. Key strategies employed in re-launching the hotel and establishing a viable and sustainable platform for growth were:
- E-distribution and revenue management strategies
- Design of new brand, logo, website and collateral to re-launch the product
- Recruitment of a new, dynamic management team including a Sales & Marketing Executive
- Implementing an effective ‘two prong’ marketing approach to both the local community to grow food and liquor sales and the wider national corporate market to supplement accommodation and meeting revenue. The sales and marketing effort made full use of e-marketing tools, electronic mail shots and more traditional face to face and telephone efforts.
- Collaborate with The Abbey Hill Golf Centre in order to design and sell golf packages to the UK and international market including membership of the IAGTO for global exposure.
Despite the troubled economic climate, which lead to Real Hotels business failure, the continued challenging trading conditions in the hospitality market and very strong competition in Milton Keynes, Abbey Hill Hotel quickly returned to occupancy levels which exceeded those it had enjoyed whilst part of the Quality brand. Today the hotel enjoys health occupancy, a renewed image in the local community and has successfully adapted it’s offering in terms of food and beverage to attract significant trade from the local community.
Formerly the Quality Hotel and Suites, the 88 bedroom, 3* Abbey Hill Hotel was operated by The Real Hotel Group under license from Choice Hotels Europe. In January 2009 Real Hotels was placed into Administration and the individual hotels were handed back to the owners.